Producers and Auto-producers
Producers are holders of a production license for production units registered in the registry of units. Auto-producers are holders of a production license, who produce electricity for own use and inject the excess of the energy into the system or grid.
Suppliers are holders of a supply license and purchase energy directly through the DAS to satisfy their customers’ demand.
Importers are holders of a supply or trading license, and are supplied with energy quantities from foreign producers or suppliers and inject these quantities into the DAS through the interconnections.
Exporters are holders of a supply or production or trading license and are supplied with energy quantities from the DAS for export to other countries through the interconnections.
The selecting customers are electricity consumers, who have the right to select their Supplier. They also have the right to be supplied with energy through the DAS for their own exclusive use. Self-supplied customers can also schedule imports through the interconnections for their own use.
According to the new electricity market model, participants in the balancing market which IPTO manages, fall under the following main categories and are defined in detail in the Balancing Market Rulebook.
Balancing Service Provider (BSP)
The natural or legal person which can provide balancing services to the system, and is registered in the Balancing Service Providers Registry, which is kept by the Operator of the HETS:
- Producer, holder of a Production License or relevant Exemption, provided that it has a generating unit in its possession, with a valid production license, installed on the mainland or on the islands interconnected with the mainland and has an installed capacity above 5 MW.
- Producer of Renewable Energy Sources (RES), holder of a Production Licence or RES Production Certificate or relevant Exemption, for RES units with Obligation of Participation in the Market, provided it has a RES Unit in its possession and it is not represented by a RES Aggregator.
- RES Aggregator, holder of a RES Aggregator License, including the Last Resort RES Aggregator, for RES Units with Obligation to Participate in the Market;
- Demand Response Aggregator, holder of relevant license, as well as,
- Consumer, including Self-supplied Customer, who provides demand response services, provided it is not represented by a Demand Response Aggregator.
For Producers of point (a), registration in the Balancing Service Providers Registry is mandatory.
Balancing Responsible Party (BPR)
The natural or legal person assuming the responsibility of the imbalances of the final schedules during the physical operation of the system compared to the market scheduled declared with the Energy Exchange markets. It may represent the following entities:
- Non-Dispatchable RES Units Portfolio, which includes one or more RES Units with Obligation to Participate in the Market, which are connected to a particular Bidding Zone and which do not offer Balancing Services to the HETS Operator. Each Non-Dispatchable RES Units Portfolio is represented by a RES Producer or a RES Aggregator.
- Non-dispatchable Load Portfolio, which includes one or more Loads which are connected to a particular Bidding Zone and do not offer Balancing Services to the HETS Operator. Each Non-Dispatchable Load Portfolio is represented by a Supplier or a Consumer.
- Portfolio of RES Units without Obligation to Participate in the Market, which are connected to a particular Bidding Zone. Portfolios of RES Units without Obligation to Participate in the Market are represented by the Operator of RES and Guarantees of Origin (DAPEEP S.A.) DAPEEP is responsible for balancing for the Portfolio of RES Units without Obligation to Participate in the Market.
- Import Portfolios and Export Portfolios.